1908 ALCO 24/30 engine
American Locomotive / Motor Car Engine No. 274
The American Locomotive Co. of Bridgeport, Connecticut, began producing automobiles in 1906 under license from Berliet. Three chain drive models were produced in 1906, the 24/30, 40 hp, and 60 hp six cylinder. In 1908 the Berliet license was discontinued and the corporate name was changed from American Locomotive Motor Car Co. to ALCO. ( Reference: Automobile Quarterly Vol. 11, No. 2, "The Mighty Alco," a history by Beverly Rae Kimes.) The engine is mounted on the original ornate Alco cast iron base upon which Alco assembled the engine . The engine was then rolled to the test room for running and final acceptance. This engine is complete with the original flywheel and clutch assembly. A perfect start for a period correct racing special or the centerpiece in a fine collection of early 1900 motor cars.